Get a Taste of the Foods that Help and Harm Your Dental Care
Your dental health depends on the foods you choose to eat. Discover the best and worst choices to put on your plate.
The Foods Your Dentist Wants You to Eat
Did you know you can eat to beat tooth decay and other dental problems? Family dentistry experts say that certain foods can benefit dental health by preventing tooth decay, curbing cavities, and freshening your breath. All of the following foods will surely make your dentist smile:
- Milk – This is an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D, which help strengthen teeth and bones.
- Cheese and Yogurt – These foods are high in calcium and phosphorus, which can protect your tooth enamel and replace the minerals in the teeth.
- Crunchy Vegetables – Celery, carrots, and other firm veggies demand a lot of chewing, which scrubs away debris. This chewing increases saliva production, which helps rinse away the foods and acids on teeth.
- Dark, Leafy Vegetables – Broccoli, kale, bok choy, and other leafy veggies help you get the nutrients needed for dental health.
- Meat, Fish, and Tofu – All of these protein sources are very rich in phosphorus, which may also protect tooth enamel.
The Dental Care Dangers in Your Kitchen
Just as some foods are good for your teeth, others can do lots of damage. All of these foods and drinks can spoil your dental care efforts:
- Candy – Candy coats your teeth with sugars and acids that lead directly to tooth decay.
- Tomatoes – Their high-acid content can cause tooth erosion, so only eat them occasionally in meals, rather than regularly as snacks.
- Dried Fruit – Its sugary, sticky nature makes it get stuck in your teeth, which increases your risk of decay.
- Coffee – Its acids can eat at enamel, while severely staining your teeth.
- Red and White Wine – Both can quickly stain your teeth, while the acids erode your tooth enamel.
- Soda – Its sugars can cause tooth decay and the acids can wear down your tooth enamel.
Chew on These Tips to Take Care of Your Teeth
While it’s unrealistic to think that you will only eat foods that are good for your teeth and avoid those that are bad, family dentistry experts would like you to try to make healthier choices as often as you can. No matter what you eat, you need to maintain these dental health habits:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss once a day or more.
- Go to an affordable dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings.
- If you have a dental problem, see an affordable dentist immediately to avoid further pain and problems.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates at Beltway today at (410) 775-5536 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Beltway, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Beltway.