Face the Facts on Oral Surgery
While oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMS) may sound rather complex, it is simply any surgical or cosmetic procedure performed to repair or restore the mouth, jaw, facial structure, and neck.
An Overview of Oral Surgery
A majority of oral surgery is cosmetic, ranging from reconstructing faces after accidents to elective procedures that enhance a person’s aesthetic appearance. Yet other procedures treat problems that affect dental function.
Procedures Performed by Oral Surgeons
Dental specialists called oral surgeons perform oral surgery. If you have a dental problem that demands specialized care, your dentist in Baltimore will refer you to one of these oral surgeons who have the special skills to provide the advanced and affordable dental care you need. If cost is a concern, you’ll need to ask your dentist in Baltimore to recommend an oral surgeon that offers affordable dental care options. Oral surgeons perform a wide range of procedures, including:
- Extracting impacted and severely damaged teeth
- Replacing missing teeth with dental implants
- Correcting misalignment and other problems with the jaw
- Restoring jaws with bone grafts
- Soothing and improving jaw pain
- Fixing cleft palates
- Reconstructing faces damaged by disease or injury
- Performing elective cosmetic surgeries of the face, jaws and neck
- Removing tumors affecting the oral and facial area
The Top Training of Oral Surgeons
Oral surgeons must undergo rigorous training to become highly skilled in the restoration and repair of oral and maxillofacial problems. Their education includes:
- Four years of dental school to learn general dentistry and earn a DDS or DMD degree
- Four years of a hospital-based residency program to train with future anesthesiologists, general surgeons, plastic surgeons, emergency physicians, and internists
- An optional extra two years of training in an integrated OMS/MD program to earn a medical degree
- Fellowship programs to earn additional training in advanced oral surgical techniques
- Continued education to help oral surgeons stay current on the latest surgical advances
If you ever have a dental concern that requires any work from oral surgeons, be assured that you’ll be in highly skilled hands.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates at Beltway today at (410) 775-5536 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Beltway, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Beltway.