The Importance of Using the Right Toothpaste
Brushing your teeth is one of the most important elements in your dental care routine, so choosing the right toothpaste is essential. Cleaning away bacteria and plaque with a quality toothpaste helps prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and bad breath. A typical toothpaste product contains several ingredients that work together to help optimize your oral health. Detergents create foaming action to better remove plaque and food particles. Abrasives lift stains, and fluoride makes your teeth strong and prevents cavities. Your choice of toothpaste should reflect your individual needs.
Here is a list of toothpaste types to help you understand your choices.
- Fluoride toothpastes strengthen teeth by remineralizing them to counteract the effects of acid. Most commercial toothpastes contain fluoride, and many dentists recommend them for patients without a fluoridated public water supply.
- Tartar-control toothpastes can’t remove tartar, but they can prevent it from accumulating.
- Whitening toothpastes remove stains with mild abrasives or chemicals.
- Toothpaste for sensitive teeth creates a barrier to help prevent irritants from reaching sensitive, exposed nerves.
- Natural toothpastes are designed for people who prefer all-natural ingredients to chemicals. They may or may not contain fluoride.
- Children’s toothpastes make dental hygiene for kids more appealing. They usually feature colorful, kid-friendly themes and mild flavors.
- Smokers’ toothpaste contains abrasives to remove stains, but they can damage delicate teeth and gums.
3 Brushing Tips
To get the most from your toothpaste, you must brush properly:
- Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle tilted towards your gums.
- Use gentle, circular strokes, and brush for two full minutes.
- Brush at least twice each day with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
Get a Professional Opinion
If you need help deciding on a toothpaste brand or type, schedule an appointment with an affordable dentist. After taking a look at your teeth and gums, your dentist in Baltimore can determine the type of dental care product that will best meet your needs, and make a recommendation.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates at Beltway today at (410) 775-5536 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Beltway, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Beltway.