Quick Care Guide for Managing Sensitive Teeth
Teeth sensitivity causes pain or discomfort when you consume hot, cold, sour, or sweet foods and beverages; it may even be triggered by inhaling cold air. Pain from sensitive teeth may be sudden and sharp as it shoots deep into your teeth’s nerve endings. Tooth sensitivity results from the exposure of your teeth’s dentin, which contains thousands of small tubes that lead to nerve endings. Dentin is the layer of material that lies beneath the surface of tooth enamel. It may become exposed when your gums recede or tooth enamel becomes damaged.
Causes of Sensitive Teeth
Some causes of sensitive teeth are unavoidable, but others can be modified. Here are the most common factors in tooth sensitivity:
- Overly zealous brushing
- Frequent consumption of highly acidic foods or beverages
- Cracked or chipped teeth
- Nighttime tooth grinding
- Plaque accumulation on tooth roots
- Age-related gum recession and thinning enamel
- Periodontal disease
- Long-term mouthwash use
- Use of tooth-whitening products
- Recent dental procedures
Dental Care for Teeth Sensitivity
Here are a few effective home dental care tips to help you deal with painful symptoms of sensitive teeth.
- Wear a mouth guard to prevent nighttime teeth grinding.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Brush and floss thoroughly and regularly.
- Only use soft-bristled toothbrushes; these are less likely to damage your tooth enamel and gum tissues.
- When brushing around your gum line, be gentle.
- Use toothpaste developed for treating tooth sensitivity.
- Avoid eating acidic foods and beverages, or limit your consumption.
- Visit your dentist regularly for exams and professional dental cleanings.
Ask Your Dentist About Professional Dental Care for Teeth Sensitivity
If conservative measures don’t manage your symptoms, your dentist may be able to help. Dentin sealers, dental bonding, or varnishes applied to root surfaces can reduce causes of sensitive teeth and relieve your pain.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates at Beltway today at (410) 775-5536 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Beltway, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Beltway.