How Orthodontists Prepare Patients’ Mouths for Braces
Orthodontists are dental specialists who diagnose, treat, and prevent problems with misaligned teeth and jaws or facial problems. Dentists refer both adults and children for orthodontic treatment. Many alignment problems become obvious after permanent teeth begin to erupt. However, orthodontists often wait until more teeth come in before starting treatment.
Dental braces for kids are typically applied between the ages of eight and 14 when bones are developing and teeth are more likely to experience movement. Adults can wear braces at virtually any age. Orthodontists carry out the following five steps to prepare patients’ mouths for braces.
- Orthodontic Examination – Orthodontists begin preparation by conducting a comprehensive examination of the mouth including the teeth, jaws, and facial structure.
- Diagnostic X-Rays – X-rays help orthodontists determine the exact position of the teeth. A panoramic x-ray is the most effective option; it shows all of the upper and lower teeth in their normal biting position. It also reveals any teeth that are impacted or are still developing inside the jaw. If needed, orthodontists may also request a special head x-ray to reveal the size and position of the jaw in relation to the teeth.
- Plaster Modeling – Creating a plaster model of the teeth helps orthodontists assess the bite. To make the impression for the model, the patient bites into a soft material for several minutes. The plaster model or dental cast is created from the impression. It can then be scanned into a digital format for further evaluation or treatment planning.
- Tooth Extractions – If teeth are crowded, it may be necessary to remove one or more teeth to make room for the others. In extreme cases that involve severe misalignment, jaw surgery may be part of the treatment.
- Treatment Planning for Dental Braces for Kids and Adults – After a full evaluation and preliminary corrective measures, orthodontists develop a treatment plan. In most cases, affordable braces that are bonded to the teeth will be the treatment of choice.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates at Beltway today at (410) 775-5536 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Beltway, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Beltway.