Has Smoking Burned you with Tooth Discoloration?
Almost every smoker bears the burden and bother of stained teeth. Learn the best way to stomp out this dental darkness.
Pack up the Truth about Cigarettes and Tooth Discoloration
Dentists strongly agree that tobacco use is a leading cause of the discoloration of teeth. If you want to maintain a healthy, white smile, you should stay away from smoking and tobacco in any form. In addition to harming your overall health, tobacco affects your smile by causing periodontal disease and staining teeth with a yellow or gray tint. Smoking is clearly an ugly habit that you want to avoid or quit.
Ways to Puff out the Problem of Stained Teeth from Smoking
Despite the warnings about tobacco use, many people are just not ready to halt the habit. For those who can live with the major health risks and the discoloration of teeth, here are some helpful hints to reduce smoking stains:
- Get regular, professional cleanings at least twice a year.
- Brush, floss, and use an antibacterial mouth rinse every day to help prevent plaque from building up on your teeth and holding onto stains.
- Brush your teeth after meals and cigarettes to reduce the stains that lead to tooth discoloration.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
A Whiter Smile is Not Just Smoke and Mirrors
Many people who smoke think that stained teeth are an unavoidable side effect. But today, there is a wide range of whitening options for every level of staining. For those who continue to smoke after treatment, be aware that tooth discoloration is likely to return. Ask your dentist about the following whitening choices:
- Over-the-counter whitening toothpastes, which may improve stains and help prevent future darkness, but may also make teeth sensitive.
- At-home tooth whitening treatments, which can lighten minor stains, but may cause sensitivity.
- Professional tooth whitening by a dentist, which produces the fastest and whitest results.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates at Beltway today at (410) 775-5536 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Beltway, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Beltway.