Easy Ways to Make Dental Care Child’s Play
Dentists say that good dental habits should be developed in kids when they’re very young. And it’s up to parents to teach their kids how to take good care of their teeth. With these simple dental guidelines, parents can learn how to teach these lessons and keep their child’s teeth healthy.
Dental Care Guidelines for Children of All Ages
When should parents start taking care of their child’s teeth? The best dentist professionals say that dental care should start in infancy, even before the child has any teeth. They advise using water or gauze to gently clean the baby’s gums, as well as using a soft toothbrush and water to brush the baby’s first few teeth. But most dentists recommend these age-specific dental care guidelines:
- 1 Year: The first visit to a pediatric dentist should occur by a child’s first birthday. Ask their pediatrician and other parents to recommend an affordable dentist for kids.
- 2 Years: Parents need to start teaching their child how to brush their teeth.
- 6 Years: Most kids start getting their permanent teeth around this age.
- 7 Years: When children begin to acquire their permanent teeth, they should be able to brush on their own.
- Always: During these formative years, parents must teach and encourage good dental care to help kids develop healthy habits.
Dental Care Habits to Teach Kids
Healthy dental care habits begin at home, so parents need to help their child develop good oral hygiene habits. Since many parents don’t know where to begin, some of the best dentist experts suggest these practices for teaching kids how to practice proper dental care:
- Kids should brush for two full minutes with a tiny, pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste—once in the morning and once before bed.
- Children should floss at least once a day. However, parents need to teach them how to floss correctly.
- When your child consumes a sugary food or beverage, have them drink water or brush their teeth after afterward.
- Encourage healthy snacking and offer your kids foods that are high in calcium to build stronger teeth.
- Seek an affordable dentist and take your child for regular visits. While at-home care is essential for a healthy smile, be sure to find the best dentist for your kids.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Baltimore, call Dental One Associates at Beltway today at (410) 775-5536 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Baltimore. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates at Beltway, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates at Beltway.